There are two ways to simplify the URL for your Stanford Domains site: Setup a vanity URL or create a subdomain.
Request a vanity URL through the Web Virtual Host. Vanity URLs are only available to departments, research groups, and university-recognized student organizations. Once users are redirected to your site on Stanford Domains, the URL will display example.su.domains.
Create a Stanford subdomain for your site using the Add-On domain functionality in Stanford Domains. This will make your site reachable via <yourname>.stanford.edu (example.stanford.edu) and it will continue to display the domain name when visitors browse your site.
Follow these steps to configure your subdomain:
- Search stanfordwhat.stanford.edu to look up your chosen name (example.stanford.edu) to ensure it’s available.
- From your account in Stanford Domains on the tools page, select Add-on Domain and enter your NewDomainName.stanford.edu (example.stanford.edu).
- Place a Stanford Domains Service request to have your domain added to Stanford’s DNS (Domain Name System). This must be fully completed before proceeding to the next step.
- Build site (example.edu).
- Confirm your site (example.stanford.edu).
See the step-by-step guide for more information about configuring custom subdomain.stanford.edu in Stanford Domains.